There are several sites out there that provide healthcare rankings and attempt to report the quality of healthcare services. Even the most famous healthcare ranking websites suffer from problems that introduce bias.
Some of these issues include:
- Charging high fees for access. With their goal not being for public information, but to sell services to hospitals and large groups.
- Relying on “Yelp” style reviews that skew results.
- Not created or run by physicians who understand and use data, but by business people looking to sell products.
- Favor large research institutions with big grants, rather than community institutions that care for the majority of people
- Many sites charge physicians for “awards” which raise their profiles. Some even help create fake reviews to bias results. Because of the inherent biases and limitations of reviews, we will not provide them until we are able to verify, verify and verify!
- Receive money for referrals each time you click through to get an appointment or learn more.
That’s why we created Patient Premier. Its a site where anyone can go to learn about the best places – written in plain, easy to understand language. As we roll out more information, we hope to make it even useful and easy to put together.
One thing to keep in mind, healthcare facilities and physicians are constantly learning and improving, and a problem one year may not occur the next. Also, we are all victims of chance. A few infections one year may just be “bad luck”. Maybe a referring nursing home had a high rate of ulcers or antibiotic resistant bacteria? Is that the hospitals fault? That’s the perspective we provide!